Sunday, February 24, 2008

Application = Code + Markup : My opinion

I recently started working with Windows Presentation Foundation for a Simulation Project that I would be starting today. I needed to simulate Graph traversal using Animations and with WPF around, doing Graphics would be great and simple. So, I started browsing my University Library for WPF books and could lay my hands upon the awesome book “Application = Code + Markup”. I know WPF Unleashed is a good one but having seen some fight on the blog-world about which book is better; I decided I would be reading both the books and come up with some opinion! I should say Petzold’s book is one of the best you can lay your hands upon. It has no narration or graphics to attract you but it gives you the knowledge that you are looking for. Not once in these 7 years of Professional CS studies did I ever read 4 chapters without a break – I did that now with Petzold’s book. For a person like me who just “glances” books and does not read it, I myself was surprised that I read the chapters so well and took notes, which I would be sharing in this post shortly. I like a book that gives me information in every line that I read. Quiet a lot of books does not do that and tries to sell you the stuff more than to teach you. Anyway Application = Code + Markup is not such a book and it truly is worth every cent you invest in. Another book that I am looking forward is Scott Hanselman’s ASP.NET 3.5 in C# and VB. I preordered it two months back and am eagerly waiting for its release. I hope to fill the gap in my ASP.NET skills with that book. As a resolution I also decided I would post every week about what I did that week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Scott's (with Bill Evjen and Devin Rader) Professional AP.NET 3.5: in C# and VB will be in your hands any day. Amazon started shipping their preorders to customers earlier this week if that's where you ordered it. Looking forward to seeing if you like it.